See what makes December 8 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on December 8
- December 8, 1541 "Thomas Culpeper and Francis Dereham are executed for having affairs with Catherine Howard, Queen of England and wife of Henry VIII."
- December 8, 1609 "Biblioteca Ambrosiana opens its reading room, the second public library of Europe."
- December 8, 1659 Mexican border town Ciudad Jurez is founded by Fray Garca de San Francisco.
- December 8, 1776 George Washington's retreating army crosses Delaware River from NJ
- December 8, 1794 "Premier issue of the Herald of Rutland, VT published"
- December 8, 1854 "Pope Pius IX proclaims Immaculate Conception, makes Mary, free of Original Sin"
- December 8, 1861 "William Durant auto manufacturer cofounder of Chevrolet, founder of General Motors, Durant Motors; was born"
- December 8, 1863 "2,500 reported killed at Church of La Compana, Santiago Chile"
- December 8, 1863 Abraham Lincoln announces plan for Reconstruction of South
- December 8, 1864 The Clifton Suspension Bridge over the River Avon was officially opened.
- December 8, 1869 "20th Roman Catholic ecumenical council, Vatican I, opens in Rome"
- December 8, 1869 "Timothy Eaton founds T. Eaton Co. Limited in Toronto, Canada."
- December 8, 1881 "Vienna's Ring Theater destroyed by fire, kills between 640-850"
- December 8, 1886 American Federation of Labor (AFL) formed by 26 craft unions; Samuel Gompers elected AFL president
- December 8, 1902 Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr became Associate Justice on Supreme Court
- December 8, 1904 "Konservativ Ungdom (Young Conservatives) in Denmark is founded by Carl F. Herman von Rosen. Still existing today, it is the oldest youth political organisation in Denmark and believed to be one of the oldest remaining in the world."
- December 8, 1907 King Gustaf V of Sweden accedes to the Swedish throne.
- December 8, 1909 Bird banding society found
- December 8, 1925 "Sammy Davis, Jr. entertainer: was born on this day"
- December 8, 1933 Flip (Clerow) Wilson Emmy Award-winning comedy writer was born
- December 8, 1933 "Secretary of the Navy establishes Fleet Marine Force, integrating a ready-to-deploy Marine force with own aircraft into Fleet organization."
- December 8, 1935 "The Japanese military police launches a violent suppression of the religious sect Oomoto, beginning with a crackdown on the sect's operational bases of Ayabe and Kameoka in Kyoto Prefecture and the arrest of its leader Onisaburo Deguchi."
- December 8, 1940 German Luftwaffe launches massive attack on London
- December 8, 1940 "The Chicago Bears defeat the Washington Redskins 73-0, in the NFL Championship Game. This is the most lopsided game in NFL history."
- December 8, 1941 "Holocaust: Gas vans are first used as a means of execution, at the Chelmno extermination camp near d in Poland."
- December 8, 1941 US declares war on Japan.
- December 8, 1941 "USS Wake (PR-3), a river gunboat moored at Shanghai, is only U.S. vessel to surrender during World War II."
- December 8, 1941 World War II: First Japanese attack on Wake Island.
- December 8, 1941 World War II: Pacific War - After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor the U.S. Congress and Great Britain pass a declaration of war against Japan.
- December 8, 1942 "Eight PT boats (PT 36, PT 37, PT 40, PT 43, PT 44, PT 48, PT 59, and PT 109) turn back 8 Japanese destroyers attempting to reinforce Japanese forces on Guadalcanal."
- December 8, 1942 "Holocaust: in Ternopil, Ukraine, German SS organise the last deportation of Ternopil Jews to death camp in Belzec, when 1,400 Jews were sent there. The chief of the Gestapo, SS-Sturmbannfhrer Hermann Mller, bore overall responsibility for the mass murder of the Jews of Ternopil and Berezhany county."
- December 8, 1947 "Gregg Allman musician: keyboards, guitar, singer was born"
- December 8, 1953 Kim Basinger actress was born
- December 8, 1953 Los Angeles became the third largest city in the U.S. The City of Angels slid past Philadelphia for the distinction in a special census.
- December 8, 1961 "Surfin?, The Beach Boys first record, was released on Candix Records. It became a local hit in Los Angeles"
- December 8, 1963 "Frank Sinatra, Jr. was kidnapped in Lake Tahoe, Nevada. He was set free four days later."
- December 8, 1966 Sinead O?Connor singer:was born
- December 8, 1966 "The Greek ferry Heraklion sinks in a storm in the Aegean Sea, killing over 200."
- December 8, 1969 "An Olympic Airways DC-6B crashes near Athens during a storm, killing 93 people."
- December 8, 1972 "United Airlines Flight 533 crashes near Chicago Midway Airport, killing 45 people."
- December 8, 1976 The Eagles release the album Hotel California.
- December 8, 1978 "Golda Meir served as Israel's PM (1969-74, dies in Jerusalem at 80"
- December 8, 1979 Number one hit on UK music charts - Police - Walking On The Moon
- December 8, 1980 John Lennon assassinated in New York by Mark David Chapman
- December 8, 1981 "No. 21 Mine explosion in Whitwell, Tennessee kills 13."
- December 8, 1982 "Activist Norman Mayer threatens to blow up the Washington Monument, before being killed by United States Park Police."
- December 8, 1983 Slim Pickins western actor dies at 64 after brain surgery
- December 8, 1984 Number one hit on UK music charts - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love
- December 8, 1987 Alianza Lima air disaster
- December 8, 1987 "Occupied Palestinians start ""intefadeh"" (uprising) against Israel"
- December 8, 1987 President Reagan & Soviet General Secretary Gorbachev sign a treaty eliminating medium range nuclear missiles
- December 8, 1987 The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty is signed.
- December 8, 1987 "The Queen Street Massacre: Frank Vitkovic shoots and kills 8 people at the offices of Australia Post in Melbourne, Australia before being killed himself."
- December 8, 1990 The largest pizza ever made.
- December 8, 1991 "Russia, Byelorussia & Ukraine form Commonwealth of Ind States"
- December 8, 1991 "The leaders of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine sign an agreement dissolving the Soviet Union and establishing the Commonwealth of Independent States."
- December 8, 1991 The Romanian Constitution is adopted in a referendum.
- December 8, 1993 "The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is signed into US law. NAFTA is a trade pact between the United States, Canada, and Mexico, eliminates virtually all tariffs and trade restrictions between the three nations."
- December 8, 1995 "8 people including the gunman, Roland Smith, are killed on 125th Street in an arson/murder at Freddie's Fashion Mart."
- December 8, 1995 Jean-Dominique Bauby suffers a stroke.
- December 8, 1997 The Carlton Trail Railway (Omnitrax) takes over the operation of the following CN lines in north western Saskatchewan: Warman Junction to just north of Prince Albert. Speers Junction to Meadow Lake.
- December 8, 1997 "The FBI announced its new National DNA Index System (NDIS). NDIS allows forensic science laboratories to link serial violent crimes to each other and to known sex offenders through the electronic exchange of DNA profiles. This same day, the FBI Laboratory announced its success in extracting a DNA profile using mitochondrial DNA (mDNA). mDNA analysis allows extraction of DNA from minute quantities of physical evidence like a strand of human hair."
- December 8, 1998 Tadjena massacre: 81 people are killed by armed groups in Algeria.
- December 8, 2002 "The Caribbean Community Heads of Government meet with the Government of Cuba and declare the date to be ""CARICOM-Cuba Day"" - To celebrate diplomatic ties between the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and Cuba."
- December 8, 2004 "Legendary Pantera and Damageplan guitar player Dimebag Darrell Abbott and 3 others are gunned down on stage at the Alrosa Villa, a Columbus, Ohio nightclub during the opening of Damageplan's set."
- December 8, 2004 "The Cuzco Declaration is signed in Cuzco, Peru, establishing the South American Community of Nations."
- December 8, 2005 "Ante Gotovina, Croatian army general accused of war crimes, is captured in the Playa de las Amricas, Tenerife by the Spanish police."
- December 8, 2006 "Israeli serial rapist Benny Sela is caught by police, two weeks after his escape from prison."
- December 8, 2008 "Important Islamic date - Eid ul-Adha: December 8, 2008"
- December 8, 2009 A Cambodian court sentences a Thai man on charges of spying for Thailand to 7 years imprisonment.
- December 8, 2009 A series of earthquakes and aftershocks kill a 1 year old child and injure several other people in northern Malawi.
- December 8, 2009 "Anti-government protests in Iran continue at universities for a second day, with over 200 arrests."
- December 8, 2009 Bombings in Iraq kill over 100 people.
- December 8, 2009 Burmese authorities burn US$93 million worth of seized narcotic drugs at a ceremony in eastern Shan State.
- December 8, 2009 "Eight children are killed and a further 26 injured in a stampede at a school in Xiangtan, Hunan, in central China."
- December 8, 2009 "For the second time in as many years, CBS cancels a United States-produced soap opera, this time As the World Turns after 54 years, in effect putting Procter & Gamble, the creators of said genre, out of that business."
- December 8, 2009 "Gunmen in Honduras shoot dead the head of the country's anti-drug trafficking unit, Julian Aristides Gonzalez."
- December 8, 2009 Japan unveils a new пїЅ7.2 trillion (US$80.6 billion) stimulus package to strengthen the country's economy amid signs it is weakening.
- December 8, 2009 "President of Serbia Boris Tadic, his sports minister and ???/FSS chief Tomislav Karadzic are punished for breaking FIFA's strict no-alcohol policy at the Stadion Crvena Zvezda on 10 October."
- December 8, 2009 "Scaled Composites SpaceShipTwo, the world's first commercial spacecraft, is officially unveiled in the Mojave Desert, California."
- December 8, 2009 The ruling junta in Guinea announces it has arrested 60 people so far for attempting to kill leader Captain Moussa Dadis Camara.