See what makes December 10 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on December 10
- December 10, 1041 Empress Zoe of Byzantium elevates her adoptive son to the throne of the Eastern Roman Empire as Michael V.
- December 10, 1508 "The League of Cambrai is formed by Pope Julius II, Louis XII of France, Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor and Ferdinand II of Aragon as an alliance against Venice."
- December 10, 1520 Martin Luther burns his copy of the papal bull Exsurge Domine outside Wittenberg's Elster Gate.
- December 10, 1520 Martin Luther publicly burned papal edict demands he recant
- December 10, 1672 New York Gov Lovelace announces monthly mail service between New York and Boston
- December 10, 1684 "Isaac Newton's derivation of Kepler's laws from his theory of gravity, contained in the paper De motu corporum in gyrum, is read to the Royal Society by Edmund Halley."
- December 10, 1690 Mass Bay becomes first American colonial government to borrow money
- December 10, 1810 Tom Cribb (GB) beats Tom Molineaus (US-Negro) in first interracial boxing championship (40 rounds)
- December 10, 1817 Mississippi admitted as 20th state
- December 10, 1817 Mississippi becomes the 20th U.S. state.
- December 10, 1831 """Spirit of the Times"" begins publishing (weekly horse racing sheet)"
- December 10, 1836 "Emory College (now Emory University) is chartered in Oxford, Georgia."
- December 10, 1861 American Civil War: the Confederate States of America accepts a rival state government's pronouncement that declares Kentucky to be the 13th state of the Confederacy.
- December 10, 1864 Sherman reaches Savannah and 12 day siege begins
- December 10, 1868 "The first traffic lights are installed outside the Houses of Parliament in London. Resembling railway signals, they use semaphore arms and are illuminated at night by red and green gas lamps."
- December 10, 1869 The first American chapter of Kappa Sigma is founded at the University of Virginia.
- December 10, 1869 Women suffrage (right to vote) granted in Wyoming Territory (US 1st)
- December 10, 1869 Wyoming grants women the right to vote.
- December 10, 1898 "Spanish-American War ends; US acquires Philippines, PR and Guam"
- December 10, 1899 The Delta Sigma Phi fraternity is founded at the City College of New York.
- December 10, 1901 The first Nobel Prizes are awarded.
- December 10, 1902 Women are given the right to vote in Tasmania.
- December 10, 1904 "The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity is founded at the College of Charleston in Charleston, South Carolina."
- December 10, 1906 "U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt wins the Nobel Peace Prize, becoming the first American to win a Nobel Prize of any kind."
- December 10, 1911 Calbraith Rogers completes first crossing of US by airplane (84 days)
- December 10, 1927 "Grand Ole Opry makes its first radio broadcast, in Nashville, TN"
- December 10, 1931 Jane Addams (1st US woman) named co-recipient of Nobel Peace Prize
- December 10, 1932 Thailand adopts a Constitution and becomes a constitutional monarchy.
- December 10, 1932 Thailand receives its first constitution
- December 10, 1935 "The Downtown Athletic Club Trophy, later renamed the Heisman Trophy, was given to halfback Jay Berwanger of the University of Chicago. This award was given to the best college football player east the Mississippi River."
- December 10, 1936 Abdication Crisis: Edward VIII signs his Instrument of Abdication.
- December 10, 1936 England replaces King Edward VIII stamp series with King George VI
- December 10, 1941 "HMS PRINCE OF WALES sunk off Kuantan, Malaya in the South China Sea as many as 5 or 6 torpedoes from Japanese Navy land-based aircraft (Nells and Bettys).Of the crew of 1,612 327 were lost."
- December 10, 1941 "HMS REPULSE sunk with HMS PRince of Wales but hit by 5 torpedoes. Destroyers rescued 1,285 officers and men"
- December 10, 1941 World War II: The Royal Navy capital ships HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse are sunk by Imperial Japanese Navy torpedo bombers near Malaya.
- December 10, 1946 "Baseball great Walter Johnson died at the age of fifty-nine of a brain tumor. Nicknamed ""The Big Train,"" Johnson"
- December 10, 1948 The UN General Assembly adopts the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- December 10, 1948 UN General Assembly adopts Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- December 10, 1950 Ralph J Bunche (1st black American) presented Nobel Peace Prize
- December 10, 1952 Yitchak Ben-Zvi elected 2nd president of Israel
- December 10, 1953 Dr. Albert Schweitzer is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his humanitarian work.
- December 10, 1958 First domestic (NY-Miami) passenger jet flight-National 707 flew 111 people
- December 10, 1962 Hunters Point (San Francisco) jitney ends service after 50 years
- December 10, 1963 6 year old Donny Osmond singing debut on the Andy Williams Show
- December 10, 1963 The United States Air Force's X-20 Dyna-Soar spaceplane program is cancelled by Robert McNamara.
- December 10, 1963 Zanzibar becomes independent within British Commonwealth
- December 10, 1964 Number one hit on UK music charts - The Beatles - I Feel Fine
- December 10, 1965 "The Grateful Dead play their first concert, at the Fillmore in San Francisco."
- December 10, 1966 Israeli Shmuel Yosef Agnon wins Nobel Prize for literature
- December 10, 1968 "Japan's biggest heist, the still-unsolved ""300 million yen robbery"", occurs in Tokyo."
- December 10, 1970 "Agricultural scientist Norman Borlaug, ""father of the Green Revolution"", is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize."
- December 10, 1971 "Jim Hart throws a football for a record 98 yards, the longest recorded throw."
- December 10, 1971 William H Rehnquist confirmed as Supreme Court justice
- December 10, 1972 The American League votes to adopt the Designated Hitter position for the following season.
- December 10, 1974 "Helios 1 launched by US, Germany; later makes closest flyby of Sun"
- December 10, 1975 "Activist Andrei Sakharov is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, accepted by his wife, Yelena Bonner."
- December 10, 1975 "Andrei Sakharov's wife Yelena Bonner, accepts his Nobel Peace Prize"
- December 10, 1977 Soyuz 26 carries 2 cosmonauts to Salyut 6 space station
- December 10, 1978 Arab-Israeli conflict: Prime Minister of Israel Menachem Begin and President of Egypt Anwar Sadat are jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- December 10, 1978 "In Oslo, Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat accept 1978 Nobel Peace Prize"
- December 10, 1980 Soyuz T-3 returns to Earth
- December 10, 1981 The United Nations General Assembly approves Pakistan proposal for establishing nuclear free-zone in South Asia.
- December 10, 1982 "Soyuz T-5 returns to Earth, 211 days after take-off"
- December 10, 1983 "Danuta Walesa, wife of Lech Walesa, accepts his Nobel Peace Prize"
- December 10, 1983 Democracy is restored in Argentina with the assumption of President Ral Alfonsn.
- December 10, 1983 Number one hit on UK music charts - Flying Pickets - Only You
- December 10, 1983 Raul Alfonsin inaugurated as Argentina's first civilian president
- December 10, 1983 "Solidarity leader Lech Wasa is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, accepted by his wife, Danuta."
- December 10, 1984 Apartheid: Cleric and activist Desmond Tutu is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- December 10, 1984 South African Bishop Desmond Tutu received his Nobel Peace Prize
- December 10, 1986 Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel accepts 1986 Nobel Peace Prize
- December 10, 1986 The Holocaust: Elie Wiesel is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- December 10, 1987 """Nightline"" is seen in the USSR for first time"
- December 10, 1988 "Massive Earthquake in Armenia kills 100,000 in cities of Leninakan and Spitak"
- December 10, 1988 Number one hit on UK music charts - Cliff Richard - Mistletoe & Wine
- December 10, 1989 Tsakhiagiin Elbegdorj announced the establishment of Mongolia's democratic movement that peacefully changed the second oldest communist country into a democratic society.
- December 10, 1990 Space Shuttle STS 35 (Columbia 11) lands
- December 10, 1996 Rwandan Genocide: Military Advisor to the United Nations Secretary-General and head of the Military Division of the Department of Peacekeeping Operations of the United Nations Maurice Baril recommends that the UN multi-national forces in Zaire stand down.
- December 10, 2002 The High Court of Australia hands down its judgement in the internet defamation case of Gutnick v Dow Jones.
- December 10, 2004 "A tombstone commemorating the 35th anniversary of the death of Brazilian guerrilla Carlos Marighella is inaugurated in Salvador, Bahia."
- December 10, 2005 Sosoliso Airlines Flight 1145 crashes in Nigeria.
- December 10, 2006 "Chivas de Guadalajara wins their 11th championship, most in Mexican football (soccer)."
- December 10, 2006 "Two million Lebanese opposition supporters gather in downtown Beirut, calling for the government to resign."
- December 10, 2009 "18 hostages are released after at least 65 people are kidnapped by gunmen in Agusan del Sur, Mindanao, the Philippines."
- December 10, 2009 A failed launch of an intercontinental missile RSM-56 Bulava by Russia is reported to be the cause of the mysterious spiral light seen over Northern Norway yesterday.
- December 10, 2009 "In what has been described as a landmark case, the Supreme Court of Ireland rules that a gay man, identified as ""A"", who donated his sperm to a lesbian couple shall have access to the resulting boy child, overturning the original High Court decision. GLEN expresses concern at the Supreme Court's rejection of the lesbian couple as a ""de facto family""."
- December 10, 2009 "India announces it is to create a new state, Telangana, out of Andhra Pradesh, with some officials resigning in protest."
- December 10, 2009 It is revealed that Egypt is building an iron wall up to 100 feet deep along its border with Gaza.
- December 10, 2009 "New 4,000-page Spanish grammar guidelines, produced by the Spanish Royal Academy and 21 organizations in Spanish-speaking countries, are unveiled."
- December 10, 2009 Pakistani officials arrest five US citizens wanted by the FBI on suspicion of terrorism.
- December 10, 2009 "The credit rating of Greece is downgraded, leading to increased pessimism regarding the Greek economy."
- December 10, 2009 "Thousands of ""red shirt"" anti-government protesters demonstrate in Bangkok, Thailand, calling for new elections."
- December 10, 2009 "U.S. President Barack Obama accepts the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, Norway."