See what makes December 30 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on December 30
- December 30, 1460 Wars of the Roses: Battle of Wakefield
- December 30, 1809 Wearing masks at balls forbidden in Boston
- December 30, 1817 First coffee planted in Hawaii
- December 30, 1835 "After gold discovery in GA, Cherokees forced to move across Mississippi River"
- December 30, 1853 A dinner party is held inside a life-size model of an Iguanodon created by Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins and Sir Richard Owen in south London.
- December 30, 1853 "Gadsden Purchase 45,000 mi (120,000 km) by Gila River from Mexico for $10 million. Area is now southern Arizona & New Mexico"
- December 30, 1853 Gadsden Purchase: The United States buys land from Mexico to facilitate railroad building in the Southwest.
- December 30, 1853 "The US purchases 30,000 square miles of land from Mexico in what is now southern New Mexico and Arizona. The Gadsden Purchase cost the US $10 million."
- December 30, 1854 "Pennsylvania Rock Oil Co, first in US, incorporated in NYC"
- December 30, 1862 "USS Monitor sinks off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina."
- December 30, 1875 Andrassy Note calls for Christian-Muslim religious freedoms
- December 30, 1879 "The Pirates of Penzance is first performed (Paignton, Devon, England)."
- December 30, 1880 "The Transvaal becomes a republic and Paul Kruger, its first president."
- December 30, 1896 Jos Rizal was executed by firing squad in Manila.
- December 30, 1896 Montreal Victorias beat Winn Victorias 6-5 for the Stanley Cup
- December 30, 1897 Natal annexes Zululand.
- December 30, 1897 Province of Zululand annexed to Natal colony
- December 30, 1903 600 people die in a fire at the Iroquois Theater in Chicago.
- December 30, 1903 602 die as flames swept through Iroquois Theater in Chicago
- December 30, 1903 "A fire at the Iroquois Theater in Chicago, Illinois kills 600."
- December 30, 1903 American Political Science Association founded at New Orleans
- December 30, 1905 "Former Governor Frank Steunenberg is assassinated near his home in Caldwell, Idaho."
- December 30, 1906 Iran becomes a constitutional monarchy
- December 30, 1906 "The All India Muslim League is founded in Dacca, East Bengal, British India Empire, which later laid down the foundations of Pakistan."
- December 30, 1907 Abraham Mills' commission declares Abner Doubleday invented baseball
- December 30, 1908 Montreal Wanderers loses to Edmonton but retain Stanley Cup (4th of 1908). Cup is won by total points in a 2 game series
- December 30, 1911 Sun Yat-sen elected first President of Republic of China
- December 30, 1911 Sun Yat-sen is elected as the first president of the Republic of China.
- December 30, 1915 "HMS Natal, blew up and sank at her moorings in the Cromarty Firth, Scotland, over 400 lives lost. Sources differ about the date with some giving it as 31st. The cause was speculated about at the time and sabotage was feared by some but the official enquiry put it down to a cordite explosion which becomes unstable when overheated. Other ships had suffered a similar fate, and this is the most likely explanation."
- December 30, 1919 Lincoln's Inn in London admits its first female bar student.
- December 30, 1922 "Soviet Union organized as a federation of RSFSR, Ukrainian SSR, Belorussian SSR & Transcaucasian SSR"
- December 30, 1922 The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics is formed.
- December 30, 1922 Vladimir Lenin establishes the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
- December 30, 1924 Edwin Hubble announces existence of other galactic systems
- December 30, 1927 Japan dedicates first subway in the Orient (route under 2 miles long)
- December 30, 1927 "The Ginza Line, the first subway line in Asia, opens in Tokyo."
- December 30, 1929 Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority incorporates
- December 30, 1935 Italian bombers destroy Swedish Red Cross unit in Ethiopia
- December 30, 1938 "Electronic television system patented, VK Zworykin"
- December 30, 1940 "California opens its first freeway, the Arroyo Seco Parkway."
- December 30, 1943 Subhash Chandra Bose raises the flag of Indian independence at Port Blair.
- December 30, 1944 "King George II of Greece declares a regency, leaving his throne vacant."
- December 30, 1947 "King Michael of Romania abdicates the throne, but makes it clear that he is forced out by Communists."
- December 30, 1948 "Cole Porter's musical Kiss Me, Kate opens on Broadway."
- December 30, 1952 Tuskegee Institute reports 1952 as first yr in 71 with no lynchings in US
- December 30, 1953 "Electronics manufacturer Admiral unveils the first color television set for consumers, priced at a modest $1,175."
- December 30, 1953 "Television Technology: The first ever NTSC color television sets go on sale for about USD at $1,175 each from RCA."
- December 30, 1959 "The George Washington, first ballistic missile sub commissioned"
- December 30, 1965 Ferdinand Marcos becomes President of the Philippines.
- December 30, 1967 "Beatles' ""Hello Goodbye,"" single goes #1 & stays #1 for 3 weeks"
- December 30, 1968 "-48? F (-44? C), Mazama & Winthrop, Washington (state record)"
- December 30, 1972 President Nixon halts bombing of North Vietnam & announces peace talks
- December 30, 1972 The US stops the bombing of North Vietnam.
- December 30, 1972 Vietnam War: The US halts heavy bombing of North Vietnam.
- December 30, 1973 The first picture of a comet from space (Comet Kohoutek-Skylab)
- December 30, 1975 Constitution of Democratic Republic of Madagascar comes into force
- December 30, 1977 Carter holds first news conference by US President in Eastern Europe (Warsaw)
- December 30, 1977 "Ted Bundy escapes from his cell in Glenwood Springs, Colorado."
- December 30, 1978 Ohio State dismisses Woody Hayes as its football coach
- December 30, 1979 "Rock group, Emerson, Lake & Palmer break up"
- December 30, 1980 "NBC cancels The Wonderful World of Disney, the longest-running prime time TV show in history. Disney now owns the ABC TV network."
- December 30, 1981 "Wayne Gretzky scores his 50th goal in 39 games, still a National Hockey League record."
- December 30, 1982 US Assay Office in New York City NY closes
- December 30, 1984 Miss Elizabeth (Hulette) & Macho Man Randy Savage (Poffo) wed
- December 30, 1985 IBM-PC DOS Version 3.2 released
- December 30, 1985 President Zia of Pakistan ends martial law
- December 30, 1986 US begins Military exercises in Honduras
- December 30, 1988 Canadian Senate OK's free trade pact; with US
- December 30, 1988 Former Soviet President Brezhnev's son-in-law sentenced to 12-yr (bribery)
- December 30, 1988 Mercedes-Benz pays $20.2-M fine failed to meet '86 government fuel standard
- December 30, 1988 North subpoenas Reagan & Bush as defense witnesses for upcoming trial
- December 30, 1988 Yugoslav government resigns
- December 30, 1993 Israel and the Vatican establish diplomatic relations.
- December 30, 1994 Two are killed and five wounded when a gunman opens fire at two Boston area abortion clinics.
- December 30, 1994 "US Army pilot Bobby Hall is free, some 13 days after his helicopter is downed (resulting in the death of his co-pilot David Hilemon) by North Korea. Dec 30, 1993 Israel and the Vatican agree to recognize each other."
- December 30, 1995 "The lowest ever UK temperature of -27.2C was recorded at Altnaharra in the Scottish Highlands. This equalled the record set at Braemar, Aberdeenshire on February 11, 1895 and January 10, 1982."
- December 30, 1996 "In the Indian state of Assam, a passenger train is bombed by Bodo separatists, killing 26."
- December 30, 1996 "Proposed budget cuts by Benjamin Netanyahu spark protests from 250,000 workers who shut down services across Israel."
- December 30, 1997 "In the worst incident in Algeria's insurgency, the Wilaya of Relizane massacres, 400 people are killed from four villages."
- December 30, 2000 "Rizal Day Bombings: A series of bombs explode in various places in Metro Manila, Philippines within a span of a few hours, killing 22 and injuring about a hundred."
- December 30, 2003 U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft recuses himself and his office from the Plame affair.
- December 30, 2004 "A fire in the Repblica Cromagnon nightclub in Buenos Aires, Argentina kills 194."
- December 30, 2005 "Tropical Storm Zeta forms in the open Atlantic, tying the record for the latest tropical cyclone ever to form in the North Atlantic basin."
- December 30, 2006 Madrid Barajas International Airport is bombed.
- December 30, 2006 Saddam Hussein is executed by hanging.
- December 30, 2009 A British hostage is released alive in Iraq following over two and a half years of captivity in Iraq and Iran.
- December 30, 2009 A senior Chinese admiral says the country may build its first foreign naval base in the Middle East.
- December 30, 2009 "Bushfires consume 13,400 hectares (33,000 acres) of land and destroy at least 37 homes near Toodyay, northeast of Perth, Western Australia."
- December 30, 2009 Former President of Indonesia Abdurrahman Wahid dies at the age of 69.
- December 30, 2009 "Four Canadian soldiers and a journalist, Michelle Lang of the Calgary Herald, are killed in a vehicle explosion in Kandahar, Afghanistan."
- December 30, 2009 "Hundreds of protesters gather outside Allende prison in Veracruz, Mexico, objecting to the removal of inmates to allow U.S. film director Mel Gibson to shoot a controversial movie."
- December 30, 2009 Police in Italy locate a wooden toy guitar sculpture which co-founder of Cubism Pablo Picasso made for his daughter Paloma.
- December 30, 2009 "Seven American CIA agents are killed by a suicide bomb attack in a US military base in Khost Province, Afghanistan. Two of the seven killed are contractors for Blackwater Worldwide. The CIA considers contractors to be officers."
- December 30, 2009 Taiwan announces plans to reimpose a ban on certain U.S. beef products amid concerns over mad cow disease.
- December 30, 2009 "The Australian government predicts a 20% fall in the number of Indian students studying in the country, due to a series of racist attacks earlier this year."
- December 30, 2009 "The death toll in clashes in the northern Nigerian state of Bauchi rises to 70, with 1,000 displaced."
- December 30, 2009 Thousands of pro-government supporters in Iran demonstrate against recent anti-government protests on Ashura.
- December 30, 2009 "Two people are found dead following three separate avalanches in Scotland, while a third person who was rescued dies later in hospital."