See what makes June 26 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on June 26
- June 26, 0363 Roman Emperor Julian is killed during the retreat from the Sassanid Empire. General Jovian is proclaimed Emperor by the troops on the battlefield.
- June 26, 0684 Benedict II becomes Pope.
- June 26, 1284 "According to legend, the Pied Piper lures 130 children of Hamelin away."
- June 26, 1409 "Western Schism: The Roman Catholic church is led into a double schism as Petros Philargos is crowned Pope Alexander V after the Council of Pisa, joining Pope Gregory XII in Rome and Pope Benedict XII in Avignon."
- June 26, 1483 Richard III becomes king of England.
- June 26, 1541 "Francisco Pizarro is assassinated in Lima by the son of his former companion and later antagonist, Diego Almagro the younger. Diego is later caught and executed."
- June 26, 1718 "Tsarevich Alexei Petrovich of Russia, Peter the Great's son, mysteriously dies after being sentenced to death by his father for plotting against him."
- June 26, 1723 After a lasting siege and firing from the cannons Baku surrendered to Russians.
- June 26, 1754 "Anthony Henday, an employee of the Hudson's Bay Company, leaves York Factory with a party of Plains Cree returning to the interior; returns June 23, 1755, having traveled as far west as present-day Red Deer, Alberta."
- June 26, 1793 "UK hist Gilbert White, naturalist, dies at Selborne, Hampshire"
- June 26, 1797 Charles Newbold patents first cast-iron plow. Farmers fear the effects of the iron on the soil
- June 26, 1807 "Lightning hits a warehouse in Luxembourg, killing 230 people."
- June 26, 1819 The bicycle is patented.
- June 26, 1830 "UK hist George IV dies ? his brother, William IV, accedes to the throne"
- June 26, 1846 "In London England, British protectionists repeal Corn Laws to raise price of wheat for British farmers; rioting in the streets; British property values fall 50%, and the Canadas will soon feel the effects."
- June 26, 1848 End of the June Days Uprising in Paris.
- June 26, 1857 "Off Cap Rouge Quebec, the Steamer Montreal catches fire and sinks in 15 minutes in the St. Lawrence; left Quebec City at 5 pm a day earlier; 253 lives lost, mostly Scottish immigrants on their way to the west."
- June 26, 1857 "The first investiture of the Victoria Cross in Hyde Park, London."
- June 26, 1862 Battle of Beaver Dam Creek-Union repulse Confederacy in Virginia
- June 26, 1862 Day 2 of the 7 Days-Battle of Mechanicsville
- June 26, 1870 First section of Atlantic City (NJ) Boardwalk opens
- June 26, 1870 The Christian holiday of Christmas is declared a federal holiday in the United States.
- June 26, 1900 Dr Walter Reed begins research that beats Yellow Fever
- June 26, 1902 England establishes Order of Merit
- June 26, 1902 M Wolf & L Carnera discovers asteroid #488 Kreusa
- June 26, 1911 Nieuport sets an aircraft speed record of 83 mph (133 kph)
- June 26, 1917 The first American Expeditionary Force arrive in France during WW I
- June 26, 1919 The first issue of NY Daily News published
- June 26, 1924 "After 8 years of occupation, US troops leave the Domincan Republic"
- June 26, 1924 American occupying forces leave the Dominican Republic.
- June 26, 1925 "In Toronto Ontario, Edward S. Ted Rogers Sr. invents the alternating-current tube which allows plug-in batteryless radios"
- June 26, 1927 The Cyclone roller coaster opens on Coney Island
- June 26, 1934 FDR signs Federal Credit Union Act establishing credit unions
- June 26, 1940 End of USSR experimental calendar; Gregorian readopted 6/27
- June 26, 1940 "Hundreds of Kovno Jews are taken to the ""Ninth Fort"" and murdered."
- June 26, 1940 "World War II: Under the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, the Soviet Union presents an ultimatum to Romania requiring it to cede Bessarabia and northern part of Bukovina."
- June 26, 1941 Finland enters WW II against Russia
- June 26, 1943 RCAF bomber wing begins operating from North Africa; 3 squadrons; a prelude to invasions of Sicily and Italy.
- June 26, 1944 Port of Cherbourg falls to the Allies.
- June 26, 1945 "UN Charter signed by 50 nations, in San Francisco"
- June 26, 1948 The Western allies start an airlift to Berlin after the Soviet Union has blockaded West Berlin.
- June 26, 1948 US denounces Soviet blockade of Berlin
- June 26, 1948 "William Shockley filed the original patent for the grown junction transistor, the first bipolar junction transistor."
- June 26, 1949 Walter Baade discovers asteroid Icarus inside orbit of Mercury
- June 26, 1950 "In Ottawa Ontario, Minister of National Defence Brooke Claxton 1898-1960 announces invasion of Republic of Korea (South Korea) by North Korean forces June 25."
- June 26, 1956 "Australians ambushed near Sungei Siput, Malaysia"
- June 26, 1957 Hurricane Audrey strikes Louisiana claiming 500 lives
- June 26, 1958 "Mackinac Straits Bridge, Michigan dedicated"
- June 26, 1958 Vanguard SLV-2 launched for Earth orbit (failed)
- June 26, 1959 Ingemar Johansson of Sweden defeats Floyd Patterson as boxing champ
- June 26, 1959 Queen Elizabeth & Pres Eisenhower open the St Lawrence Seaway
- June 26, 1959 "The Saint Lawrence Seaway opens, opening North America's Great Lakes to ocean-going ships."
- June 26, 1960 British Somaliland (now Somalia) gains independence from Britain
- June 26, 1960 Former British Protectorate of Somaliland British Somaliland gains its independence
- June 26, 1960 Madagascar gains independence from France (National Day)
- June 26, 1963 "John F. Kennedy speaks the famous words ""Ich bin ein Berliner"" on a visit to West Berlin."
- June 26, 1963 "Kennedy visits W Berlin ""Ich bin ein Berliner"" (I am a Berliner)"
- June 26, 1964 "Beatles release ""A Hard Day's Night"" album"
- June 26, 1968 Iwo Jima & Bonin Islands returned to Japan by US
- June 26, 1973 On Plesetsk Cosmodrome 9 people are killed in an explosion of a Cosmos 3-M rocket.
- June 26, 1974 Liz Taylor's 5th divorce (Richard Burton)
- June 26, 1974 "The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley's chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio"
- June 26, 1975 Indira Gandhi establishes authoritarian rule in India.
- June 26, 1975 Two FBI agents and a member of the American Indian Movement are killed in a shootout on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota; Leonard Peltier is later convicted of the murders in a controversial trial.
- June 26, 1976 Number one hit on UK music charts - Real Thing - You To Me Are Everything
- June 26, 1976 "The CN Tower, the tallest free-standing structure on land in the world, was opened."
- June 26, 1977 42 die in fire inmate causes at Maury County Jail in Columbia Tenn
- June 26, 1977 "The Yorkshire Ripper kills 16 year old shop assistant Jayne MacDonald in Leeds, changing public perception of the killer as she was the first victim who was not a prostitute."
- June 26, 1978 Air Canada Flight 189 to Toronto overran the runway and crashed into the Etobicoke Creek ravine. Two of 107 passengers onboard died.
- June 26, 1978 Brittany separatists bomb Palace of Versailles in France
- June 26, 1978 "First dedicated oceanographic satellite, SEASAT 1, launched"
- June 26, 1981 "Couples For Christ, a Christian charismatic organization, established in the Philippines."
- June 26, 1982 A Gilmore & P Kilmartin discovers asteroid #3521
- June 26, 1982 Marie Osmond marries Steve Craig
- June 26, 1982 Number one hit on UK music charts - Charlene - I've Never Been To Me
- June 26, 1982 US vetos UN Security Council resolution for a limited withdrawal from Beirut of Israeli & Palestine Liberation Organization forces
- June 26, 1989 Canada updates coins with a new portrait of Queen Elizabeth.
- June 26, 1989 Melanie Griffith & Don Johnson marry for the 2nd time
- June 26, 1989 "On Hawaii, a 6.1 quake (actually 2 events about 5 seconds apart) results in five people injured slightly, 5 homes destroyed and about 100 homes damaged in the Puna District. Landslides occurred in several places and blocked a road at Honomu"
- June 26, 1990 122? F in Phoenix Arizona
- June 26, 1992 "Denmark wins the European Football Championship title by beating Germany 2-0 in Nya Ullevi stadium (Gothenburg,Sweden)"
- June 26, 1993 The U.S. launches a missile attack targeting Baghdad intelligence headquarters in retaliation for a thwarted assassination attempt against former President George H.W. Bush in April in Kuwait.
- June 26, 1995 "Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani deposed his father Khalifa bin Hamad al-Thani, the Emir of Qatar, in a bloodless coup."
- June 26, 1996 Irish Journalist Veronica Guerin is shot in her car while in traffic in the outskirts of Dublin
- June 26, 1997 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling is published in the United Kingdom.
- June 26, 2000 Orel Hershiser pitches his last major league game.
- June 26, 2006 The Republic of Montenegro becomes the 192nd member of the United Nations.