See what makes November 16 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on November 16
- November 16, 0534 A second and final revision of the Codex Justinianus is published.
- November 16, 1384 "Jadwiga is crowned King of Poland, although she is a woman."
- November 16, 1491 "An auto de fe, held in the Brasero de la Dehesa outside of vila, concludes the case of the Holy Child of La Guardia with the public execution of several Jewish and converso suspects."
- November 16, 1532 Francisco Pizarro and his men capture Inca Emperor Atahualpa.
- November 16, 1532 Pizarro seizes Incan emperor Atahualpa after victory at Cajamarca
- November 16, 1632 "The Battle of Ltzen, where king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden is killed."
- November 16, 1676 "First colonial prison organized, Nantucket, Massachusetts"
- November 16, 1776 "Hessians capture Fort Washington, Manhattan"
- November 16, 1798 Kentucky becomes first state to nullify an act of Congress
- November 16, 1801 The New York Post newspaper is founded.
- November 16, 1821 "American Old West: Missouri trader William Becknell arrives in Santa Fe, New Mexico over a route that became known as the Santa Fe Trail."
- November 16, 1841 N.E. Guerin of NY patents cork-filled life preserver
- November 16, 1849 A Russian court sentences Fyodor Dostoevsky to death for anti-government activities linked to a radical intellectual group; his sentence is later commuted to hard labor.
- November 16, 1857 Second relief of Lucknow. The most Victoria Crosses won in a single day with 24.
- November 16, 1864 General William T. Sherman and his Union army troops begin their March to the Sea during the American Civil War.
- November 16, 1885 "Canadian rebel leader of the Metis and ""Father of Manitoba"", Louis Riel is executed for treason."
- November 16, 1894 "6,000 Armenians massacred by Turks in Kurdistan"
- November 16, 1895 "Samuel F. Smith, composer of America, dies."
- November 16, 1901 "3 autos race on Ocean Parkway, Brooklyn, fastest speed achieved by Henry Fournier who drives a mile in 51 4/5 seconds"
- November 16, 1904 John Ambrose Fleming invents the vacuum tube.
- November 16, 1906 Opera star Enrico Caruso is charged with an indecent act after allegedly pinching a woman's bottom in the monkey house of New York City's Central Park Zoo.
- November 16, 1907 "Cunard Line's RMS Mauretania sister ship of RMS Lusitania, sets sail on her maiden voyage from Liverpool, England to New York City."
- November 16, 1907 Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory become Oklahoma and are admitted as the 46th U.S. state.
- November 16, 1907 Oklahoma becomes 46th state
- November 16, 1908 Arturo Tuscanini begins conducting NY's Metropolitan Opera
- November 16, 1914 The Federal Reserve Bank of the United States officially opens.
- November 16, 1918 Hungarian People's Republic declared
- November 16, 1920 Postage meter first used in US in lieu of postage stamps
- November 16, 1920 "Qantas, the national airline of Australia is registered as an aerial carrier under the name of Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Only KLM (now part of Air France-KLM) and Avianca are older."
- November 16, 1932 "New York City's Palace Theatre is fully converted to a movie theater, which is considered to be the death of vaudeville as a popular form of entertainment in the United States."
- November 16, 1933 Roosevelt establishes diplomatic relations with USSR
- November 16, 1934 James J. Braddock wins one of the most important fights of his career against then future light heavyweight champion John Henry Lewis.
- November 16, 1939 "Destruction of Talmudic Academy in Lublin and its huge library, which gave ""so much pleasure to its conquerors that it was recalled with glee more than a year later."""
- November 16, 1940 "Holocaust: In occupied Poland, German Nazis close off the Warsaw Ghetto from the outside world."
- November 16, 1944 "Dueren, Germany is completely destroyed by Allied bombers."
- November 16, 1945 "Yeshiva College (University), chartered in NY, first US Jewish College"
- November 16, 1950 UN gets US government approval to issue postage stamps
- November 16, 1952 USA explodes their first hydrogen-bomb.
- November 16, 1955 First speed-boat to exceed 200 mph (322 kph) (D.M. Campbell)
- November 16, 1957 Ed Gein butchers last victim
- November 16, 1957 "Serial killer Edward Gein murders his last victim, Bernice Worden."
- November 16, 1959 "The Broadway musical, The Sound of Music, starring Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel opens at the Lunt-Fontanne Theater."
- November 16, 1959 The Rodgers and Hammerstein musical The Sound of Music opens on Broadway.
- November 16, 1965 First public announcement about Walt Disney World
- November 16, 1965 "Venera 3 launched, first to land on another planet (crashes into Venus)"
- November 16, 1965 "Venera program: The Soviet Union launches the Venera 3 space probe toward Venus, the first spacecraft to reach the surface of another planet."
- November 16, 1966 "Dr Sam Sheppard freed after 9 years in jail, by a jury"
- November 16, 1967 "Canadian Pacific begins testing Canada's first remote-controlled mid-train diesel locomotives in regular freight service, using new ""Robot"" radio-command system."
- November 16, 1969 The first public display of a moon rock takes place at the Museum of Natural History in New York City.
- November 16, 1973 President Nixon authorizes construction of the Alaskan pipeline
- November 16, 1973 Skylab 4 launched into Earth orbit
- November 16, 1973 "Skylab program: NASA launches Skylab 4 with a crew of three astronauts from Cape Canaveral, Florida for an 84-day mission."
- November 16, 1974 "First intentional interstellar radio message sent, Arecibo telescope towards M 41, a cluster of stars some 25,000 light years away"
- November 16, 1974 "John Lennon's #1 solo ""Whatever Gets You Through the Night"""
- November 16, 1974 Number one hit on UK music charts - David Essex - Gonna Make You A Star
- November 16, 1979 "The first line of Bucharest Metro (Line M1) is opened from Timpuri Noi to Semanatoarea in Bucharest, Romania."
- November 16, 1981 Luke and Laura marry on the U.S. soap opera General Hospital. It is the highest-rated hour in daytime television history.
- November 16, 1981 Luke marries Laura on General Hospital
- November 16, 1981 "William Holden, actor, dies at age 63."
- November 16, 1982 5th Space Shuttle Mission-Columbia 5-lands at Edwards AFB
- November 16, 1982 Agreement reached ending 57 day football strike
- November 16, 1984 14th Shuttle Mission (51A) -Discovery 2- lands at Kennedy Center
- November 16, 1984 "Queen Elizabeth II visits Uppingham School, Rutland, United Kingdom on the occasion of its quatercentenary."
- November 16, 1984 "The movie ""A Christmas Story"" was released in Sweden"
- November 16, 1985 Number one hit on UK music charts - Feargal Sharkey - A Good Heart
- November 16, 1987 Lisa Bonet marries Lenny Kravitz
- November 16, 1988 Benazir Bhutto wins first free Pakistani elections in 11 years
- November 16, 1988 Estonia declares sovereignty in internal affairs
- November 16, 1988 "In the first open election in more than a decade, voters in Pakistan elect populist candidate Benazir Bhutto to be Prime Minister of Pakistan."
- November 16, 1988 Robin Givens sues Mike Tyson for $125 million for libel
- November 16, 1989 6 Jesuit priests are killed by El Salvadorian troops
- November 16, 1989 A death squad composed of El Salvadoran army troops kills six Jesuit priests and two others at Jose Simeon Canas University.
- November 16, 1989 "A devastating tornado strikes Huntsville, Alabama."
- November 16, 1989 UNESCO adopts the Seville Statement on Violence at the twenty-fifth session of its General Conference.
- November 16, 1990 Manuel Noriega claims US denied him a fair trial
- November 16, 1996 Mother Teresa receives honorary U.S. citizenship.
- November 16, 1997 "After nearly 18 years of incarceration, the People's Republic of China releases Wei Jingsheng, a pro-democracy dissident, from jail for medical reasons."
- November 16, 1998 "Goderich and Exeter Railway takes over operation of the CN Guelph subdivision between London and Silver, ON."
- November 16, 2000 Bill Clinton becomes the first U.S. President to visit Vietnam since the end of the Vietnam War.
- November 16, 2000 TX legend Dj-screw dies ...suspicion of codeine overdose. - USA
- November 16, 2004 "The Boeing X-43 scramjet becomes the fastest air-breathing jet flying at nearly approx. 11,200 km/h or 3.11 km/s."
- November 16, 2009 A Zambian court clears journalist Chansa Kabwela of Zambia Post newspaper of pornography charges after she sent pictures of a woman giving birth in a hospital car park to President Rupiah Banda in protest at the effects of a national strike.
- November 16, 2009 "Algeria deploys security at the Egyptian embassy in Algiers after Egyptian businesses are attacked in the capital, and security is also tightened in Sudan ahead of a World Cup play off between the two countries."
- November 16, 2009 At least 8 people are dead and dozens missing after a ferry collided with an oil barge in Burma's Irrawaddy Delta.
- November 16, 2009 "Kevin Rudd, the Prime Minister of Australia, apologises to the ""forgotten Australians"" raised in orphanages and foster homes during the twentieth century."
- November 16, 2009 "Kosovo's ruling party, the Democratic Party of Kosovo, claims victory in local elections, the first since the declaration of independence from Serbia."
- November 16, 2009 "NASA launches Space Shuttle Atlantis on STS-129 at 1928 UTC (2:28pm EST), bringing supplies and the first two ExPRESS Logistics Carriers to the International Space Station"
- November 16, 2009 "One of the United Kingdom's most prolific rapists, known as the ""Night Stalker"" who it thought to have struck more than 200 times, is charged with 22 offences against the elderly from 1992 to 2009."
- November 16, 2009 The IAEA expresses concern after a late declaration of a second nuclear site by Iran.
- November 16, 2009 "The United Nations ""Hunger Summit"" opens in Rome, Italy."
- November 16, 2009 "The United Nations is criticised after a poster that made reference to China's internet censorship by the OpenNet Initiative at an international conference focussed on Internet freedom in Sharm el-Sheik, Egypt, is removed."
- November 16, 2009 "U.S. President Barack Obama arrives in Shanghai, China, and holds a town-hall-style meeting with students."
- November 16, 2010 "Important Islamic date - Eid ul-Adha: November 16, 2010"