See what makes November 17 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on November 17
- November 17, 0284 Diocletian is proclaimed emperor by his soldiers.
- November 17, 0473 The future Zeno I is named associate emperor by Emperor Leo I.
- November 17, 1183 Battle of Mizushima.
- November 17, 1278 680 Jews arrested (293 hanged) in England for counterfeiting coins
- November 17, 1292 (O.S.) John Balliol becomes King of Scotland.
- November 17, 1511 Spain and England ally against France.
- November 17, 1558 Elizabethan era begins: Queen Mary I of England dies and is succeeded by her half-sister Elizabeth I of England.
- November 17, 1603 "English explorer, writer and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh goes on trial for treason."
- November 17, 1659 Peace of the Pyrenees is signed between France and Spain.
- November 17, 1745 "Prince Charles Edward Stewart, accompanied by pipers, entered Carlysle following the surrender of the city to the Jacobite Army."
- November 17, 1796 Battle of Arcole-Napoleon I's French forces beat Austrians in Italy
- November 17, 1800 Congress held first session in Washington DC
- November 17, 1800 "The United States Capitol building in Washington, DC holds its first session of the U.S. Congress."
- November 17, 1820 Captain Nathaniel Palmer becomes the first American to see Antarctica (the Palmer Peninsula was later named after him).
- November 17, 1827 "The Delta Phi fraternity, America's oldest continuous social fraternity, was founded at Union College in Schenectady, New York."
- November 17, 1831 Ecuador and Venezuela were separated from Greater Colombia.
- November 17, 1839 "Giuseppe Verdi's first opera, Oberto, conte di San Bonifacio opens in Milan."
- November 17, 1842 "Fugitive slave George Latimer, captured in Boston"
- November 17, 1855 David Livingstone becomes the first European to see Victoria Falls in what is now present-day Zambia-Zimbabwe.
- November 17, 1856 "American Old West: On the Sonoita River in present-day southern Arizona, the United States Army establishes Fort Buchanan in order to help control new land acquired in the Gadsden Purchase."
- November 17, 1858 Modified Julian Day zero.
- November 17, 1862 Confederate Secretary of War George B Randolph resigns
- November 17, 1869 Suez Canal opens (Egypt)
- November 17, 1871 The National Rifle Association is granted a charter by the state of New York.
- November 17, 1878 First assassination attempt against Umberto I of Italy.
- November 17, 1889 "Union Pacific begins daily through service, Chicago-Portland and San Francisco"
- November 17, 1903 Dahomey (current Benin) becomes a French protectorate.
- November 17, 1903 "The Russian Social Democratic Labor Party splits into two groups; the Bolsheviks (Russian for ""majority"") and Mensheviks (Russian for ""minority"")."
- November 17, 1905 The Eulsa Treaty is signed between Japan and Korea.
- November 17, 1911 "The Omega Psi Phi fraternity, the first African-American fraternity at a historically black college or university, is founded at Howard University in Washington, D.C."
- November 17, 1922 Former Ottoman sultan Mehmed VI goes into exile in Italy.
- November 17, 1933 United States recognizes Soviet Union.
- November 17, 1934 Lyndon B Johnson marries Claudia Alta Taylor
- November 17, 1937 "Britain's Lord Halifax visits Germany, beginning of appeasement"
- November 17, 1938 Italy passes their own version of the anti-Jewish Nuremberg laws
- November 17, 1939 "Nine Czech students are executed as a response to anti-Nazi demonstrations prompted by the death of Jan Opletal; in addition, Czech universities are shut down and over a thousand Czech students sent to concentration camps."
- November 17, 1939 The Rome-Rio de Janeiro air connection is created.
- November 17, 1945 New world air speed record 606 mph (975 kph) set by HJ Wilson of RAF
- November 17, 1948 Britain's House of Commons votes to nationalize steel industry
- November 17, 1953 "The remaining human inhabitants of the Blasket Islands, Kerry, Ireland are evacuated to the mainland."
- November 17, 1954 Colonel Gamal Abdel Nasser becomes president of Egypt.
- November 17, 1964 "Helicopters of HMM-162 from Princeton, began delivery of 1,300 tons of food and clothing to people in the inland areas of South Vietnam flooded by heavy rains following a typhoon."
- November 17, 1966 "Leonids meteor shower peaks (150,000+ per hour)"
- November 17, 1966 Number one hit on UK music charts - The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
- November 17, 1967 Beatles Ltd and Apple Music Ltd swap names
- November 17, 1967 Surveyor 6 becomes first man-made object to lift off the Moon
- November 17, 1967 "Vietnam War: Acting on optimistic reports he was given on November 13, US President Lyndon B. Johnson tells his nation that, while much remained to be done, ""We are inflicting greater losses than we're taking...We are making progress."""
- November 17, 1969 Cold War: Negotiators from the Soviet Union and the United States meet in Helsinki to begin SALT I negotiations aimed at limiting the number of strategic weapons on both sides.
- November 17, 1970 Douglas Engelbart receives the patent for the first computer mouse.
- November 17, 1970 Luna program: The Soviet Union lands Lunokhod 1 on Mare Imbrium (Sea of Rains) on the Moon. This is the first roving remote-controlled robot to land on another world and was released by the orbiting Luna 17 spacecraft.
- November 17, 1970 Russia lands Lunokhod 1 unmanned remote-controlled vehicle on Moon
- November 17, 1970 Vietnam War: Lieutenant William Calley goes on trial for the My Lai massacre.
- November 17, 1973 Number one hit on UK music charts - Gary Glitter - I Love You Love Me Love
- November 17, 1973 "President Nixon told AP ""...people have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook"""
- November 17, 1973 The Athens Polytechnic Uprising against the military regime ends in a bloodshed in the Greek capital.
- November 17, 1973 "Watergate scandal: In Orlando, Florida, US President Richard Nixon tells 400 Associated Press managing editors ""I am not a crook""."
- November 17, 1974 "Aliana Operrio-Camponesa (Worker-Peasant Alliance) founded in Portugal, as a front of PCP(m-l)."
- November 17, 1977 Egyptian President Sadat formally accepts invitation to visit Israel
- November 17, 1979 Number one hit on UK music charts - Dr Hook - When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman
- November 17, 1988 Benzir Bhutto wins election in Pakistan
- November 17, 1989 "Cold War: Velvet Revolution begins: In Czechoslovakia, a student demonstration in Prague is quelled by riot police. This sparks an uprising aimed at overthrowing the communist government (it succeeds on December 29)."
- November 17, 1990 "Fugendake, part of the Mount Unzen volcanic complex, Nagasaki prefecture, Japan becomes active again and erupts."
- November 17, 1993 US Congress votes for NAFTA
- November 17, 1997 "In Luxor, Egypt, 62 people are killed by 6 Islamic militants outside the Temple of Hatshepsut, known as Luxor massacre (The police then kill the assailants)."
- November 17, 2000 "A catastrophic landslide in Log pod Mangartom, Slovenia, kills 7, and causes millions of SIT of damage. It is one of the worst catastrophes in Slovenia in the past 100 years."
- November 17, 2000 Alberto Fujimori is removed from office as president of Peru.
- November 17, 2004 "Kmart Corp. announces it is buying Sears, Roebuck and Co. for $11 billion USD and naming the newly merged company Sears Holdings Corporation."
- November 17, 2005 "Italy's choice of national anthem, Il Canto degli Italiani, becomes official in law for the first time, almost 60 years after it was provisionally chosen following the birth of the republic."
- November 17, 2006 "Official naming of element 111, Roentgenium (Rg)."
- November 17, 2009 "A chemical tanker, the Singapore-operated MV Theresa VIII with 28 North Koreans on board, is seized by Somali pirates northwest of the Seychelles."
- November 17, 2009 "A prominent human rights campaigner for the Western Sahara region, Aminatou Haidar, who is on hunger strike at an airport in the Canary Islands, is to appear in a Spanish court on charges of public disorder. (Reuters) (AFP)"
- November 17, 2009 A Russian icebreaker with 100 tourists on board is stranded in ice in the Antarctic.
- November 17, 2009 "An inquiry into a scandal known as ""Indonesia's Watergate"" says a police case against two anti-corruption officials should be dropped."
- November 17, 2009 Israel approves a further 900 settler homes in a settlement in East Jerusalem.
- November 17, 2009 Slovakia and the Czech Republic mark the 20th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution which overthrew the communist government of Czechoslovakia.
- November 17, 2009 "South African human rights activist Kumi Naidoo becomes the executive director of Greenpeace, the first African to head the organisation."
- November 17, 2009 "The death toll after a ferry collided with a oil barge in the Irrawaddy Delta, off the coast of Burma, rises to 50. ("
- November 17, 2009 The head of the opposition in Comoros is arrested after openly criticising President Ahmed Abdallah Mohamed Sambi.
- November 17, 2009 "The Original of Laura, an incomplete novel by Russian writer Vladimir Nabokov, is published 32 years after his death despite his wish that its manuscript be burned."
- November 17, 2009 The Spanish ship Alakrana and its crew of 36 are released after a US$3.5 million ransom is paid.
- November 17, 2009 U.S. President Barack Obama continues his first trip to China and meets with Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao.