See what makes October 6 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on October 6
- October 6, 0068 BC - Battle of Artaxata: Lucullus averts the bad omen of this day by defeating Tigranes the Great of Armenia.
- October 6, 0105 BC - Battle of Arausio: The Cimbri inflict the heaviest defeat on the Roman army of Gnaeus Mallius Maximus.
- October 6, 0891 Formosus begins his reign as Catholic Pope
- October 6, 1582 "Due to the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day is skipped in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain."
- October 6, 1600 "Jacopo Peri's Euridice, the earliest surviving opera, premieres in Florence, signifying the beginning of the Baroque Period"
- October 6, 1683 13 German families arrive in present day Philadelphia
- October 6, 1683 "William Penn brings 13 German immigrant families to the colony of Pennsylvania, marking the first German people to immigrate to America."
- October 6, 1762 "Seven Years' War: conclusion of the Battle of Manila between Britain and Spain, which resulted in the British occupation of Manila for the rest of the war."
- October 6, 1781 Americans and French begin siege of Cornwallis at Yorktown; last battle of the Revolutionary War
- October 6, 1789 French Revolution: Louis XVI returns to Paris from Versailles after being confronted by the Parisian women on 5 October
- October 6, 1849 The execution of the 13 Martyrs of Arad after the Hungarian war of independence.
- October 6, 1854 "The Great fire of Newcastle and Gateshead started shortly after midnight, leading to 53 deaths and hundreds injured."
- October 6, 1857 American Chess Assn organized; First major US chess tournament (NYC)
- October 6, 1863 "Dr Charles H Sheppard opens the First public bath, in Brooklyn"
- October 6, 1866 First train robbery in US
- October 6, 1884 Naval War College established in Newport RI
- October 6, 1884 "The Naval War College of the United States Navy was founded in Newport, Rhode Island."
- October 6, 1889 Thomas Edison shows his First motion picture
- October 6, 1890 Mormon Church outlaws polygamy
- October 6, 1898 "Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity founded at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston, Massachusetts."
- October 6, 1902 "The rail link between Salisbury, Rhodesia, and Bulawayo is completed"
- October 6, 1906 The Majlis of Iran convened for the first time.
- October 6, 1908 Austria annexes Bosnia and Herzegovina
- October 6, 1921 International PEN is founded in London.
- October 6, 1922 The great powers of the first world war withdraw from Istanbul
- October 6, 1923 USSR adopts experimental calendar
- October 6, 1927 "Opening of The Jazz Singer, the first prominent talking movie."
- October 6, 1928 Chiang Kai-Shek becomes Chairman of the Republic of China.
- October 6, 1935 Market Street Railway starts using trackless trolley coaches
- October 6, 1939 Hitler announces he has no attention of war with Britain and France
- October 6, 1939 Last Polish army is defeated in World War II.
- October 6, 1943 "400 Orthodox rabbis march on Washington from the Capitol to the White House. The President refuses to see them. However, as a result, public hearings on rescue in the House and Senate are held."
- October 6, 1945 Baseball: Billy Sianis and his pet billy goat are ejected from Wrigley Field during Game 4 of the 1945 World Series (see Curse of the Billy Goat).
- October 6, 1949 "Iva Toguri D'Aquino (Tokyo Rose) sentenced to 10 years and $10,000 fine"
- October 6, 1949 Pres Truman signs Mutual Defense Assistance Act (for NATO)
- October 6, 1955 "A United Airlines DC-4 crashes in Medicine Bow Peak, Wyoming, killing 66 people"
- October 6, 1959 "Soviet Luna 3, First successful photographic spacecraft, impacts Moon"
- October 6, 1966 LSD is declared illegal in the United States.
- October 6, 1967 Haight-Ashbury hippies throw a funeral to mark the end of hippies
- October 6, 1972 "22-car train carrying 2,000 pilgrims derails, kills 208 in Mexico"
- October 6, 1973 "The Crossing: 80,000 Egyptian troops cross the Suez Canal, destroying the fortified Israeli Bar-Lev Line and starting the Yom Kippur War."
- October 6, 1973 Yom Kippur War begins as Syria and Egypt attack Israel
- October 6, 1976 "Cubana Flight 455 crashes into the Atlantic Ocean after two bombs, placed by terrorists with connections to the CIA, exploded onboard shortly after taking off from Bridgetown, Barbados. All 73 people on-board were killed."
- October 6, 1976 "John Hathaway completes a bicycle tour of every continent in the world and cycling 50,600 miles"
- October 6, 1976 "Massacre of students gathering at Thammasat University in Bangkok, Thailand to protest the return of ex-dictator Thanom by a coalition of right-wing paramilitary and government forces, triggering the return of the military to government."
- October 6, 1976 New Premier Hua Guofeng orders the arrest of the Gang of Four and associates and ends the Cultural Revolution in the People's Republic of China.
- October 6, 1976 "Pres Ford says there is ""no Soviet domination in Eastern Europe"""
- October 6, 1977 "In Alicante, Spain, fascists attack a group of MCPV militants and sympathizers, and one MCPV sympathizer is killed."
- October 6, 1979 Pope John Paul II is First Pope to visit the White House
- October 6, 1981 Anwar al-Sadat is assassinated.
- October 6, 1985 PC Keith Blakelock is murdered as riots erupt in the Broadwater Farm suburb of London.
- October 6, 1987 Fiji becomes a republic.
- October 6, 1991 Elizabeth Taylor weds for the 8th time (Larry Fortensky)
- October 6, 1995 51 Pegasi was discovered to be the first major star apart from the Sun to have a planet (and extrasolar planet) orbiting around it.
- October 6, 2000 Heather and Brent started going out
- October 6, 2000 Slobodan Miloevi resigns.
- October 6, 2002 Opus Dei founder Josemara Escriv is canonized.
- October 6, 2002 The French oil tanker Limburg is bombed off Yemen.
- October 6, 2007 Jason Lewis completes the first human-powered circumnavigation of the globe.
- October 6, 2009 "An ""industry-wide phishing scheme"" targets sites such as Google, Hotmail, Yahoo! and AOL, with passwords posted online and more than a quarter of a million accounts at risk."
- October 6, 2009 "Charles K. Kao, Willard S. Boyle and George E. Smith win the 2009 Nobel Prize in Physics for the achievements concerning the transmission of light in fibers for optical communication and for the invention of an imaging semiconductor circuit ? the CCD sensor."
- October 6, 2009 Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall wins the 2009 Man Booker Prize.
- October 6, 2009 Ireland's Ceann Comhairle John O'Donoghue announces his resignation following a controversy over his expenses claims.
- October 6, 2009 "Madagascar's political rivals agree on cabinet posts in a unity government; the President is Andry Rajoelina, the Vice-President is Emmanuel Rakotovahiny, and the Prime Minister is Eugene Mangalaza."
- October 6, 2009 "One of the most wanted suspects involved in the 1994 Rwandan Genocide, Idelphonse Nizeyimana, is arrested in the Ugandan capital Kampala."
- October 6, 2009 Somalia's State Minister for Defence Sheikh Yusuf Mohammad Siad is detained by security forces in Uganda. Siad's detention was originally reported as a kidnapping.
- October 6, 2009 "The death toll from floods in the southern Indian states of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka rises to 269, with a further 1.5 million people homeless."
- October 6, 2009 "Typhoon Parma makes landfall at Luzon, the Philippines."
- October 6, 2009 "Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe calls for improved relations with ""hostile"" countries at the opening of Parliament."