See what makes October 24 special at Famous Daily.
History, birthdays, holiday, and a quote!
What happened on October 24
- October 24, 0069 "Second Battle of Bedriacum, forces under Antonius Primus, the commander of the Danube armies, loyal to Vespasian, defeat the forces of Emperor Vitellius."
- October 24, 1260 "Saif ad-Din Qutuz, Mamluk sultan of Egypt, is assassinated by Baibars, who seizes power for himself."
- October 24, 1260 The spectacular Cathedral of Chartres is dedicated in the presence of King Louis IX of France; the cathedral is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- October 24, 1360 "The Treaty of Brtigny is ratified at Calais, marking the end of the first phase of the Hundred Years' War."
- October 24, 1593 Alleged teleportation of Gil Perez.
- October 24, 1648 Peace of Westphalia ends 30 year war and Holy Roman Empire
- October 24, 1648 "The Peace of Westphalia is signed, marking the end of the Thirty Years' War."
- October 24, 1795 "Poland Ceases to Exist. Country is divided between Prussia, Austria, and Russia,"
- October 24, 1812 Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Maloyaroslavets takes place near Moscow.
- October 24, 1836 The match is patented (took me a minute think striking a match)
- October 24, 1851 "William Lassell discovers Ariel andUmbriel, satellites of Uranus"
- October 24, 1856 Constitution of South Australia adopted
- October 24, 1857 "Sheffield F.C., the world's first football club, is founded in Sheffield, England."
- October 24, 1857 "World's first soccer club, Sheffield F.C., founded in England"
- October 24, 1871 Mob in LA hangs 18 Chinese
- October 24, 1889 Softball rules adopted by Mid Winter Indoor Baseball League
- October 24, 1901 Annie Edson Taylor becomes the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.
- October 24, 1901 First woman to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel (Anna Taylor)
- October 24, 1903 George Sutton becomes billiard champ
- October 24, 1911 "Orville Wright remained in the air 9 minutes and 45 seconds in a glider at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina setting a new world record that stood for 10 years. "
- October 24, 1911 Robert Scott's expedition leaves Cape Evans for South Pole
- October 24, 1917 Battle of Caporetto starts on the Austro-Italian front of World War I
- October 24, 1917 "The day of the October revolution, The Red Revolution."
- October 24, 1926 "Harry Houdini's last performance, which was at the Garrick Theatre in Detroit, Michigan."
- October 24, 1929 """Black Thursday"" stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange."
- October 24, 1929 """Black Thursday,"" beginning of stock market crash"
- October 24, 1930 "A bloodless coup d'tat in Brazil ousts Washington Lus Pereira de Sousa, the last President of the First Republic. Getlio Dornelles Vargas is then installed as ""provisional president."""
- October 24, 1939 "Benny Goodman records ""Let's Dance"""
- October 24, 1940 40 hour work week goes into effect (Fair Labor Standards of 1938)
- October 24, 1940 "Japan eliminates US terms (strike, play ball) from baseball"
- October 24, 1942 "Start of second El Alamein battle, Egypt"
- October 24, 1943 Anti-nazi Clandestine Radio Soldatsender Calais begins transmitting
- October 24, 1944 "In air-sea battle in the Sibuyan Sea, carrier aircraft attack Japanese Center Force."
- October 24, 1945 Founding of the United Nations
- October 24, 1945 United Nations Charter becomes effective
- October 24, 1947 Series of forest fires burn $30 million of timber (New England States)
- October 24, 1947 "Walt Disney testifies to the House Un-American Activities Committee, naming Disney employees he believes to be communists."
- October 24, 1951 United Nations publishes its first postage stamps
- October 24, 1952 Arab Liberation Movement becomes the only party of Syria
- October 24, 1954 Dwight D. Eisenhower pledges United States support to South Vietnam
- October 24, 1956 Soviet troops invade Hungary
- October 24, 1957 The USAF starts the X-20 Dyna-Soar program.
- October 24, 1958 "USS Kleinsmith (APD-134) evacuates U.S. nationals from Nicaro, Cuba."
- October 24, 1960 "Disaster on USSR launch pad, kills missile expert Nedelin and team (unconfirmed); USSR claims he was killed in plane crash"
- October 24, 1960 "Nedelin catastrophe: An R-16 ballistic missile explodes on the launch pad at the Soviet Union's Baikonur Cosmodrome space facility, killing over 100. Among the dead is Field Marshall Mitrofan Nedelin, whose death is reported to have occurred in a plane crash"
- October 24, 1962 "U.S. Military Forces put on High Alert during the Cuban Missile Crisis,"
- October 24, 1963 Number one hit on UK music charts - Brian Poole & The Tremeloes - Do You Love Me
- October 24, 1964 Northern Rhodesia gains independence from the United Kingdom and becomes the Republic of Zambia (Southern Rhodesia remained a colony)
- October 24, 1964 Zambia (N Rhodesia) gains independence from Britain (National Day)
- October 24, 1968 "Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithful busted for pot, released on ?50 bail"
- October 24, 1969 "Elizabeth Taylor receives from Richard Burton a diamond ring weighing more than 69 carats and worth more than $1,000,000"
- October 24, 1970 Nancy Walker creates Ida Morgenstein role on Mary Tyler Moore Show
- October 24, 1970 Salvador Allende Gossens elected president of Chile
- October 24, 1971 Harry Drake sets longest arrow flight by a footbow (1 mile 268 yds)
- October 24, 1973 Heavy fog causes 65 car collision killing 9 on NJ Turnpike
- October 24, 1973 John Lennon sues US govt to admit the FBI is tapping his phone
- October 24, 1973 Yom Kippur War ends
- October 24, 1973 "Yom Kippur War ends, Israel 65 miles from Cairo, 26 from Damascus"
- October 24, 1976 First Jewish film and TV festival
- October 24, 1977 Veterans Day is observed on the fourth Monday in October for the seventh and last time. (The holiday is once again observed on November 11 beginning the following year.)
- October 24, 1979 Guinness Book of Records presents Paul McCartney with a rhodium disc
- October 24, 1980 Government of Poland legalises Solidarity trade union
- October 24, 1980 Polish government legalizes independent labor union Solidarity
- October 24, 1984 11 members of the Colombo crime family arrested
- October 24, 1984 Intelsat 5 re-enters Earth's atmosphere 5 months after it failed
- October 24, 1984 Steffi Graf plays her first pro tennis match
- October 24, 1986 "Nezar Hindawi is sentenced to 45 years in prison, the longest sentence handed down by a British court, for the attempted bombing on an El Al flight at Heathrow. After the verdict, the United Kingdom breaks diplomatic relations with Syria, claiming that Hindawi was helped by Syrian officials."
- October 24, 1987 Bork's supreme court nomination rejected by senate
- October 24, 1988 Traveling Wilburys Volume One is released
- October 24, 1988 Typhoon Ruby sinks Philippine ferry; hundreds drown
- October 24, 1989 "After a week's delay due to earthquake, World Series game 3 is played (World Series #86)"
- October 24, 1989 Rev Jim Bakker is sentenced to 50 years for fraud
- October 24, 1990 "Italian prime minister Giulio Andreotti reveals to the Italian parliament the existence of Gladio, the Italian ""stay-behind"" clandestine paramilitary NATO army."
- October 24, 1998 Launch of Deep Space 1 comet/asteroid mission
- October 24, 2002 "Police arrest spree killers John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo, ending the Beltway sniper attacks in the area around Washington, DC."
- October 24, 2005 Club Penguin is created.
- October 24, 2006 "Justice Rutherford of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice struck down the ""motive clause"", an important part of the Canadian Anti-Terrorism Act."
- October 24, 2008 "Disney's High School Musical 3: Senior Year is the third installment in Disney's High School Musical film franchise. Its theatrical release in the United States began on October 24, 2008. In its first 3 days, High School Musical 3: Senior Year grossed $42 million in North America and an additional $40 million overseas, breaking the record for the largest opening weekend for a musical film."
- October 24, 2009 A magnitude 7.0 undersea earthquake strikes off the coast of eastern Indonesia
- October 24, 2009 An assassination attempt on President of the Chechen Republic Ramzan Kadyrov is averted.
- October 24, 2009 "At least 15 people are killed after two trains collide in Al-Ayyat, near Cairo, Egypt."
- October 24, 2009 Burma's Prime Minister Thein Sein tells the 15th ASEAN summit his government is prepared to relax the house arrest on National League for Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
- October 24, 2009 "Less than a week after the release of GOAL aid workers Sharon Commins and Hilda Kawuki, the International Committee of the Red Cross confirms one of its French employees has been abducted in Darfur."
- October 24, 2009 "Morrissey, ex-frontman of The Smiths, is hospitalized after collapsing on stage while performing ""This Charming Man"" during his world tour."
- October 24, 2009 "Pakistan reports re-gaining control of Kotkai, South Waziristan, birthplace of Pakistani Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud and also the hometown of the Taliban's master trainer of suicide bombers, Qari Hussain, after a week of fierce fighting with the Taliban."
- October 24, 2009 "Rosanna Al-Yami, a female journalist in Saudi Arabia, is sentenced to sixty lashes and a two-year travel ban for her involvement in a controversial sex programme."
- October 24, 2009 Senior envoys from North Korea and the United States hold rare talks on North Korea's nuclear programme in New York City.
- October 24, 2009 Ten corpses with gunshot wounds thought to belong to a kidnapped Colombian football team are located in Venezuela
- October 24, 2009 "The International Day of Climate Action occurred worldwide in prelude to the United Nations Climate Change Conference of 2009, with over 5,400 actions to raise awareness of the assertion that 350 ppm is the maximum safe level of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere, and call for mitigation of global warming before Earth reaches a climatological tipping point. (New York Times) ("
- October 24, 2009 The ruling National Movement for the Development of Society wins a controversial parliamentary election in Niger.
- October 24, 2009 "Thousands of people protest in London, England, demanding the withdrawal of British troops from Afghanistan."